NIC.UA provide a special redirect records to point your domain or subdomain to a specific URL. This is extremely useful when you want to quickly set up redirect from domain to your social media page or just don't have time to set up hosting just for redirect.
To add this type of record, you need to go to the "Name Servers (NS)" page and click on the gear icon next to the name servers for your domain. On the new page there will be a table with DNS records, click "Change". Now at the very bottom will be the "Add record" button:
What data should be entered:
- Name: If it is a apex domain, enter the name "@". If it is a subdomain, enter its name. For example, for "blog.domain.com" it will be enough to enter the name "blog";
- TTL: record lifetime. The minimum parameter is 3600 seconds, the standard is 14400 seconds. In most cases you do not need to change it;
Type: here you can select type of redirect
Permanent (HTTP code 301)
- for cases when you want to make redirect to your main domain. Like from "domain.com.ua" to "domain.ua";
Temporarily (HTTP code 302)
- for cases when you want to perform maintenance for one page, and move users to another one. Like from "blog.domain.ua" to "http://facebook.com/domain.ua";
- this one is not a redirect per se. Instead, a webpage created with a frame with chosen domain. So on your domain "domain.com.ua" will be loaded another website. But any website can forbid this type of "framing" on server side.
- Permanent (HTTP code 301)
- URL: enter the full URL where to redirect visitor;
- Title (only for redirect with frame): what title should show on tab name in visitor web-browser.
Once you have entered the necessary data, be sure to click "Save".
⚠️ Please note: changes of NS servers and records on them may take 4 to 24 hours to take effect. This is due to the caching of records by Internet service providers - they save all user requests and keep them for a certain period.